Thursday, February 26, 2015

Five Questions for Carly Carman, Actor

Carly Carman is playing several roles in "The Nosemaker’s Apprentice" including Kent the Gatekeeper and Jean-Michel. We asked her five questions.

Carly performing Suddenly Seymour
in her high school's production of Little Shop of Horrors
What made you first interested in acting? 
Well, in second grade my town had this community theater that a lot of kids did. My mom put me in my first show there, Guys and Dolls Jr. to try and help me overcome my shyness. Every year the theater would do a musical and so musical theater became a huge part of my life. I performed there until about 8th grade when it was shut down, but still continued to do shows at my middle school, and eventually high school. It's such a huge part of my life, and has molded me into the person I am today, I couldn't imagine going on without it!

What do you find interesting or appealing about The Nosemaker’s Apprentice?
I think the humor is fantastic. Some of the jokes are so dry and crazy that I can't help but laugh almost every time I hear them. I think the show has so much flexibility for actors which is really nice because it opens us up to all different sorts of interpretations.

What is the most challenging aspect of acting in this play?
The accents! Particularly the Cockney accent I have to do for Kent is especially hard for me. You really need to focus on what your mouth is doing and think ahead of how the words are supposed to sound. When you put that together while you're on stage with costumes, make-up, lights, and a mask, it can be very overwhelming.

Carly and her favorite creature, Luna
What would be your ideal role or roles in any show?
I would love to be involved in Mamma Mia as any of the main women, Cosette, Fantine or Madame Thênardier in Les Misérables, and Miss Hannigan in Annie.

If you were a fruit or vegetable, what would you be? 
Definitely a kiwi. Is that a fruit? I think so. I don't know, they're so cute and sweet and so am I. And I love the color green.

Carly Carman is currently an Environmental Geoscience Major and plans to take a minor in Professional Writing. Aside from theatre, she enjoys eating things made with cheese, watching documentaries about aliens, and fighting for women's rights via her Twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment