Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Five Questions for Frankie Stokes, Choreographer

Francesca "Frankie" Stokes is one of the student choreographers for the upcoming 5th Annual Repertory/Ensemble Dance Minor Concert. We asked her five questions.

Frankie performing in the spring dance ensemble show.
What first interested you in choreography?
I have been choreographing dances for as long as I have been dancing, 18 years. Growing up I spent majority of my time in the middle of the living room floor choreographing dances to my favorite song at the time. I spent so much time in that spot that there is was an indent in the basement ceiling that showed my hard work, dedication and heavy feet.  It’s very rare that I don’t listen to a song and choreograph a dance in my head. 

Where have you found your inspiration for the piece that you are creating this spring?
The piece that I am creating this spring was originally created last year. I decided to reset it and see how far I can push my creative limits. My original inspiration for the piece came from my personal struggles but I decided to flip the concept and base it on the dancers ‘Struggle at Hand.’ 

What are the challenges to creating a new piece?
When the piece was originally created, I was working with four dancers for a five- minute piece. This time around, my cast consists of seven dancers with a length increase to seven minutes. 

Who is an artist you admire?
An artist I admire is Melissa Rector, the Assistant Artistic Director at Koresh Dance Company.  I admire Melissa for her creative ability and effortless technique.  She has a modest mindset that allows every dancer to feel comfortable regardless of their performance level.

If you were a fruit or vegetable, what would you be?
If I could be a fruit or a vegetable I would be an apple because of all of their different variations!

Frankie's piece for the minor performance.
Frankie Stokes is a Senior at Bloomsburg University, studying  Mass Communications with a journalism track and a dance minor. Looking to pursue a career in sports journalism while continuing to dance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment