Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Three Questions for Courtney Dunn, Playwright

Courtney Dunn is the author of The Opposition, featured in the Original 10-Minute Plays by Student Playwrights as part of the BU Players 2014-15 season. We asked Courtney three questions.
A brief summary of The Opposition: The Opposition brings into question the opinions of two philosophy professors, Dr. Gerald Packer and Dr. Andrew Reinhardt, who find themselves at odds with one another as a result of the endurance of the Vietnam War. The play highlights the conflicting opinions and emotions that festered throughout society as a result of this highly controversial time in U.S. history. 
How did you first become interested in theatre?
I became interested in theatre after taking a scriptwriting class at BU in the 2014 fall semester. Before that time, I had never attempted to write a play nor did I have any interest in doing so. The class inspired me to pursue this new field of creative writing, and before long, I found myself not only writing plays in my free time but actually searching for future playwriting opportunities outside of BU.

What inspired you to write this play?
I was inspired to write this play after reading about a BU philosophy professor who was told that his teaching contract might not be renewed due to his opposition of the Vietnam War. 

If you were a fruit or vegetable, which one would you be? 
If I were a fruit or a vegetable, I would be a strawberry, planted by my grandmother, watered and nourished, softly plucked from the stem and cleansed by her hands. My family members are a big part of my life and success, raising me to be who I am and giving me the necessary support along the way.  

Courtney Dunn is a senior, psychology and English dual major. Her plans after graduating are to attend graduate school and pursue a career in English studies/creative writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment